I encourage everyone to watch these two short videos, which provide a great summary of FASH455 and remind us the true meaning of our course.
First and foremost, FASH455 is not designed to be a course which just technically talks about textile and apparel (T&A) trade and how to source T&A products. Yes, from various trade theories, evolution pattern of the global T&A industry, T&A regional production and trade network to the flying geese model, we do cover a lot of factual knowledge and theories in FASH455, because this is a highly professional area. But please keep in mind that the vision and perspective set for FASH455 are much higher and critical, that is:
- What role can the textile and apparel industry play in building a better world—how to reduce poverty, achieve economic growth, promote human development, enhance sustainability and contribute to world peace and security?
- What does it mean as a FASH major (as well as a college graduate)? What can we positively contribute to the world we are living today?
By the same token, I hope students realize that the most meaningful thing you can take away from the course is a fresh new way (perspective) of looking at the world and recognizing the critical 21st century global agendas that are closely connected with our T&A industry. For example:
- How to more equally distribute the benefits & cost of globalization among different countries and groups of people?
- How to make sure that tragedies like the Rana Plaza building collapse will never happen again?
- How to make international trade work better and more effectively lead to economic growth and human development?
- How to achieve sustainability while develop the economy? To which extent shall we renovate the conventional growth model?
- How to use trade policy as a tool to solve some tough global issues such as labor practices and environmental standard?
For many of these questions, there is no good answer yet. But they are waiting for you, the young professional and new generation of leaders, to find an answer and write the history, based on your knowledge, wisdom, responsibility, courage and creativity!
What do you take away from FASH455? Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments.